Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Low Fat Beef and Bean Bake

8 ounces extra lean ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 15.5 ounce can of black beans, drained
1 14.5 ounce can no salt added tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 tbsp no salt added tomato paste
3 8 inch tortillas
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Spray large size skillet with Pam and heat to medium-high heat. Cook beef until no longer pink. Add onion, jalapeno and cumin and cook until onion is soft. Stir in beans, tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 10 minutes. Spray a 9 inch pie plate with Pam. Place 1 tortilla on the bottom. Spoon half of the beef and bean mixture on top. Place a second tortilla on top of that, followed by the rest of the beef and bean mixture. Place the third tortilla on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve. Top with a little fat free sour cream. Jay ate a little salsa with his. I served mine with mexicorn on the side. Very good!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks tasty... but I'm concerned that it was posted at 6:43am... what are you doing up so early? No, No, No... haha! I LOVE & Miss you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

The recipe looks good, will be trying it soon, I hope.I enjoyed looking at the pics and am glad we got to be a part of it , especially at "BUBBAS".
Love yall,Dad!

Rebecca said...

@Tracy- Now you know me well enough to know that I am not up at 6:43 a.m.! Especially to do a blog post! The only reason I do get up early (5:45 a.m. to be exact) is to get Jay up and get his things ready for work and I send him out the door! Then I head back to bed for at least another hour!ha! I don't know how to change the time on this thing? Miss you and love you and hope to see you sooner than later!

@Dad- I wish we could rewind a few weeks ago and go back to Bubbas! Speaking of...how's the beach house search coming along??? Love you!