Sunday, March 21, 2010

A couple of Southern favorites and a guilt free dessert!

My cousin Dana, who I get a lot of my recipes from, just recently had surgery and I thought I would cook a meal for her, her husband, and two kids. The meal consisted of poppy seed chicken, corn salad, green beans, rolls, and a chocolate eclair for dessert. So of course I have to share a few of the recipes!

Poppy Seed Chicken

One of my favorites that I learned from my mother. The recipe is actually from an old church cook book.

2 tubes Ritz Crackers (crumbs)
2 sticks butter or margarine, melted and cooled
2 tbsp poppy seed
5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled and chopped
1 8oz sour cream (I used light)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup (I always use healthy request)

Mix crumbled crackers, butter and poppy seed together and pat into a 9x13 casserole dish. (Save about one cup of this mixture for the topping). Place chopped chicken over cracker crust. Mix sour cream and soups and then spread over chicken. Sprinkle the last of the cracker crust that you saved on top and bake 45 min at 350. This is great if you are having company or going to a church function!



Corn Salad

Another one of my favorites from my mom!

2 or 3 cans of white shoepeg corn, drained
1 small bundle of green onions, chopped
1 large tomato, chop the outside of the tomato, you will not need the inside
Mayonnaise (I used light)

Mix corn, green onions, and tomato together. Mix in mayo, don't use too much. The mayo goes a long way and you don't want it to have too much and be soupy. I used about 2 tablespoons. Mix all ingredients together very well. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.


Chocolate Eclair

This is a low fat dessert but doesn't taste like it! The recipe is from a bible study/weight loss program called "First Place"

1 box of low-fat graham crackers
2 pkgs sugar free vanilla instant pudding
1 pkg sugar free chocolate instant pudding
skim milk
1 8 oz light cool whip

Place 8 graham crackers in a 9x13 dish. Blend both vanilla pudding mixes with 3 cups of skim milk with a blender. Mix well. Let sit for 2 minutes. Gently fold in about 3/4 of the cool whip. Pour half of this mixture on the graham crackers. Top that with another 8 graham crackers. Pour remaining vanilla pudding mixture over that set of crackers. Layer with the last 8 graham crackers. Blend the chocolate pudding mix with 1 and 1/2 cups of skim milk. Mix well. Gently fold in the last of the cool whip into the chocolate pudding mixture. Let sit for 2 min. Spread over the top. Refrigerate for 6 hours.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes me hungry and its to early but will start cooking soon-fried chicken tonite. love Dad